The UFC’s first event of 2019 had it all. Incredible fights, an amazing performance from Henry Cejudo and some controversy thrown into the mix.
While a lot of people may have picked Henry Cejudo to beat TJ Dillashaw, it is likely that not many predicted that he would go through TJ Dillashaw in just 32 seconds to earn the fifth quickest finish in UFC history.
Cejudo had made a bet with UFC President Dana White at this week’s pre fight press conference that if he won, the flyweight division should stay in the UFC rather than be disbanded as is the current plan.
Given the way Cejudo has fought in his last two flyweight appearances, it’s hard to deny that 125lbs is still a relevant and exciting division to watch especially the way Cejudo was able to walk through Dillashaw and planted him with several crushing shots to end the fight.
Cejudo was in a buoyant mood championing the flyweight division but TJ Dillashaw let himself down slightly claiming that Cejudo didn’t beat him.
It remains to be seen what happens now but the flyweight champion Henry Cejudo did say that he would have a rematch at bantamweight next time out.
In the co-main event, controversy reigned supreme across the build up and the fight itself as Greg Hardy found himself disqualified in his debut fight for throwing a blatant illegal knee to Allen Crowder while he was down on the canvas.
Crowder had baited Hardy into engaging with him by thrash talking in the centre of the Octagon but emotions ran too high for Hardy who faced a lot of backlash from fans and pundits alike.
Full results of UFC Brooklyn can be found below:
ESPN+ Main Card on BT Sport 2 (3am GMT)
- Henry Cejudo def. TJ Dillashaw via KO TKO – 0:32, Round 1 – for UFC Flyweight title
- Allen Crowder def. Greg Hardy via disqualification (illegal knee) – 2:28, Round 2
- Gregor Gillespie def. Yancy Medeiros via TKO (punches) – 4:59, Round 2
- Joseph Benavidez def. Dustin Ortiz via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Paige VanZant def. Rachael Ostovich via submission (armbar) – 1:50, Round 2
- Glover Teixeira def. Karl Roberson via submission (arm triangle choke) – 3:21, Round 1
ESPN Prelims on BT Sport 2 (1am GMT):
- Donald Cerrone def. Alexander Hernandez via TKO (punches) – 3:43, Round 2
- Joanne Calderwood def. Ariane Lipski via unanimous decision (30-26, 30-26, 30-27)
- Alonzo Menfield def. Vinicius Moreira via TKO (punches) – 3:56, Round 1
- Cory Sandhagen def. Mario Bautista via submission (armbar) – 3:31, Round 1
ESPN+ Prelims on UFC Fight Pass (11:30pm GMT):
- Dennis Bermudez def. TE Edwards via unanimous decision (30-26, 30-26, 30-26)
- Geoff Neal def. Belal Muhammad via unanimous decision (29-28, 30-27, 30-27)
- Chance Rencountre def. Kyle Stewart via submission (rear naked choke) – 2:25, Round 1